If you or someone you love has been injured, you might be in need of a lawyer. Georgia is a fault state with a cap of $250,000 for punitive damages. While some people try to file a personal injury claim against insurance companies on their own, this route is not always the best one to take.
Here are some of the reasons why many individuals choose to work with an experienced lawyer:
- The injuries sustained in the accident are moderate to severe. The medical bills are going to add up over time. It might prove difficult to get the highest amount of compensation possible from the claim if you are trying to handle the case by yourself. Even with the attorney fee, it still may be worth going for the maximum amount possible.
- A lawyer experienced with personal injury cases will make the process go as smoothly as possible. You’re experiencing enough stress from the injury itself, why take on the burden of fighting the insurance company alone. Physical injuries can cause emotional anguish in addition to physical pain.Let a law firm fight for you instead. Don’t forget: the insurance companies have their own lawyers working for them.
- If some time has passed since you received the injury, you need to keep statutes of limitations in mind. In Georgia, personal injury and product liability claims have statutes of limitations of two years. For medical malpractice, the statute is one to five years, depending on the specifics of the case.
- Speaking of which, medical malpractice suits can be very, very complex. If you are suffering an injury or illness due to incompetence or carelessness by a medical professional, there are a lot of medical and legal factors to consider when determining the amount of compensation you receive.
- An injury can be severe enough to keep you from working. Whether the recovery period lasts for a few weeks or several years, you will be losing income. How can you pay bills and support your family if you are out of work for a long period of time? Even losing out on a few weeks’ worth of income would be very difficult for some families; let alone several months or years. Proving a long-term or permanently-disabling injury isn’t something that is easily done. The presence of every medical professional you see may be required at court hearings. Let a personal injury lawyer handle everything for you.
What are you going to do if the insurance company or government agency refuses to pay or offer any settlement at all? If you are worried that your case might not be strong, you still might want to consult a lawyer to learn your options. It’s better to get something than nothing at all.